Friday, August 3, 2007

And it begins...

...right or wrong, the Apostle Paul is credited for first assigning us the name that would later be translated to "Christian".

Frankly, I don't care who dubbed the title; I don't feel I can carry the name. Oh, I want to, but can't. Why? My (limited) research has shown me that the word "Christian" means "Christ Likeness". While I openly admit I have a rampant ego, even I can't claim to be like Christ. Oh, I can try to be like Christ; I can strive to be like Him; I can even move closer to Christ likeness. I cannot, however, claim to be 'Christ-like.'

There is nothing wrong with the word/title. I'm certainly not saying you (or you, or even you over there in the corner) are not a Christian. All I'm saying is--"I'm not."

Oh, you say, then explain the title of your blog. OK, Christian and Christianity are two VERY different things. The former refers to a person, a descriptor--a personal proclamation--one with a very intense and heavy definition. The later is a name give to a collection of beliefs--a thing (if you will), not a person--beliefs specific to those of us who believe that Jesus Christ is the only Son of God and who through His suffering and death make an atonement for our sins, so that whosoever will, may be saved. [Sorry, slipped into the the brainwashed mode of doctrine, but it is still correct].

Of course, you might argue that no one (with the exception of yours truly) uses so precise of a definition today; and you would probably be right. In fact, I would argue that the vagues so often presented or projected when referring to "Christians" is reason enough not to want to be called a "Christian". "Christian" means so many different things to so many people, that it falls short of even a marginally apt descriptor. Does that bother you as much as it bothers me?

Here's a test, the next time you in a group of people you don't know ask ten or even five people to tell you what the word "Christian" means to them, and I bet you get as many different answers. Why would you want to be called something for which you or those around you can't decipher an accurate meaning? Talk about a 'recipe for disaster'. How many converts do you think you can win (and keep) with such a recipe?

Again, I'm not saying the label "Christian" is bad. I just saying 1) I don't measure up to its true meaning; and 2) the common meaning is...well, there is not real common meaning.


Thus, I doubt you will ever see the label "Christian" in my posts. Oh sure, you will see it in articles I quote, or in comments posted to this blog, but you won't see them in my posts.

Are you a Christian? Or are you like me, and striving to become Christ-like?


Always remember 'Whose you are and at what cost'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I'd like to comment on is the color scheme...white letters on a black background perhaps reflects your mood but it doesn't make the blog easy to read, can I suggest that you experiment with other colours? I am all for any website that aims to bring the issues facing 'Christians' today in to the light. We so often only grumble behind closed doors,and never really address these issues and our world continually presents us with new challenges as to how to make our 'religion' relevant.
I too struggle with being labelled 'Christan' because the name doesn't convey my meaning adequately.
I feel like one of the white letters on your blog site...surrounded by darkness.
Darkness is used in the bible to depict ignorance of the true gospel that reveals the intensity of God's love.
There are however a lot of white letters in the darkness, there are others who long for an expression of their beliefs that actually transforms the background or world we live in and brings light (knowledge of the love of God) to other people.

Unknown said...

Tony

Thank you for your comments. I chose black for the thematic continuity, not my mood. That said, you point is well taken; I will explore my options.

I have and will pray for you and your walk toward Christianity.

Anonymous said...

It was the people of antioch who first called the believers Christians, not Paul coining it.

On our representation with the word Christian, I do not generally tell people I am a Christian, but rather talk about faith in Jesus, following Jesus etc.. people can make up their own mind on whether I am like him, although they are so far removed from him in time and culture that they probably wouldn't have much idea of what he is really like (eg. he is not blond and blue eyed with an American accent as you sometime see on TV)

keep on following,
PS - I like your signoff :)