Thursday, August 23, 2007

Who put what in

Financial stewardship is a topic I spend a great deal of my life on. I work with this issue in both my personal and professional life. Because stewardship (financial in particular) is one of my passions, this will without a doubt be a first of many posts on the topic.

In this post, however, I want to look at something that has created a great deal of conversation (read: controversy) whenever I bring it up.

In Mark 12: 41-44 (and Luke 21: 1-4, but I prefer Mark's account), we read the popular account often dubbed "The Widow's Offering" or "The Widow's Mite." There are a number of lessons in these four short verses, but keeping to this blog's name sake, I want to look at an often overlooked portion of this passage.

In the 41st verse we read: "Jesus sat...and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury." He was watching who put what in the equivalent of the offering plate. Let me say that again--He watched. In fact, we see this wasn't a passing glance, as the scripture tells us he was actively watching. So much so, that it is implied He choose His seat specifically for this view.

Since I am too simple minded to believe that the scriptures just through in fluff when it seems needed, I have to believe there is a point to this passage's inclusion, a lesson that is often overlooked. I am no Bible scholar, but I think the lesson related to Public Accountability.

I think Jesus is sharing with us that there is importance to openly making offerings to His Church. But this is a VERY slippery slop. Because in today's society, as in Christ's day, when humans do things in public it can very easily become a point of pride...a prideful display. This is NOT what Jesus wants.

However, I think there is something to be ask about actions taken in "the light." rather than in the 'secret' (from man not God) of "the dark." Financial stewardship, I think, is one of those things that may need to be done in "the light."

I think you can see some ways in which the church has attempted to cast light into the shadows. In fairness, these actions most likely had other intended purposes as well, but all the same...

For example, many churches ask their congregation to sign a 'pledge' card for the coming fiscal year. Often times, this card asks specifically if the amount pledged is "a tithe," "a tithe and an offering," "or striving to be for tithe." For now, set aside the tithe concept (I'll get on that soap box in a later post(s), I promise.).

Another example is the fact that offering envelopes are printed with a place to write your name. I have counted my church's offering for years, and I can tell you there are very few who pay with cash.

Another example is simply the collection of offerings at all. Most denominations still pass an offering plate around the sanctuary. The collection tool being passed from one person to the next, applying--to some level and degree--peep pressure.

I think these all trace their roots back to this passage--even if subconsciously. However, I can't help but believe their is something more I am missing in this portion of scripture.

We are commanded to financially support the building of God's Kingdom, but are we also commanded to make a public proclamation of it--or to have a public proclamation of support made? Is anonymously slipping our offering into the plate God honoring?

I would say "yes" the first, and "no" to the second. I believe that there should be some sort of congregation-wide knowledge of where the church's money comes from. Specifically who, how much, and how often. I also stand on this passage to infer that anonymous giving is considered charity, but would not qualify as our offering. OK, saying it is not God honoring is probably over doing it, but I think you get the point.

We are all called to Christ with a spiritual gift; and, I believe, a calling to support God's work in specific ways, financial support is only one way we are called to support. But in this way, I believe we are called to a VERY specific type and amount of support. It is only in living up to that calling that we will receive a full measure of God's blessings. No, He won't love us any more, but we will feel better, and His blessings will be more abundant and bountiful.

Always remember, "Whose you are and at what cost"

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I believe that the Bible is clear about tithing- how much and how- also in giving either of finances, time or work. I agree with your message too that church members should be "accountable" I guess would be the word in their giving- when they are able. There have been many times when I am not able, but when I am, I give extra. Some who aren't in agreement on the tithing issue ask me sometimes, how can I give when I don't know if my money may go to other things- like towards personal luxuries for those who are asking for offerings. I just tell that person that God knows my heart when I give- as well as the hearts of those who recieve. I still see it as going towards God's kingdom, by faith. I don't know if this pertains really to the widows mite, but it's the way I believe. Thank you! Carolyn

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts and your views.

However, you and I do not agree on a couple of different issues related to tithing.

Rather than posting a marathon reply or even a detailed post, I ask you to please stop back and watch for future posts on tithing...or other issues of mutual interest.

You are most certainly right when you say that God knows your heart, just as He does mine.

Again, thank you--Blessings!